Prof. Dr. med. Robert Thimme
About the doctor
Skills & Expertise
- 1989-1991 Studied human medicine at the Free University of Berlin
- 1991-1996 Studied human medicine at the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg
- Obtaining a license for medical practice
- 1993-1994 Defense of the dissertation in medicine at the University of Freiburg
- 1998-2001 Postdoctoral fellowship in the Department of molecular medicine at the Scripps Research Institute of La Jolla
- 2002 Scholarship of the Emmy-Noether program from the German Research Foundation
- 2005 Obtaining specialization in internal medicine
- 2006 Habilitation and a teaching license in internal medicine at the University of Freiburg
- 2006 Received additional qualifications in the field of gastroenterology
- 2006 Obtaining further specialization in gastroenterological oncology from the German Society for Digestive and Metabolic Disorders
- 2011 Received additional qualifications in the field of endocrinology
- 1996-1998 Intern and Assistant Physician in the Department of gastroenterology, hepatology, endocrinology, and infectious diseases at the University Hospital Freiburg
- 2001-2005 Assistant Physician in the Department of gastroenterology, hepatology, endocrinology, and infectious diseases at the University Hospital Freiburg
- 2005-2009 Junior professorship of the Chair of the hepatitis viral infection
- 2007-2013 Leading Senior Physician in the Department of gastroenterology, hepatology, endocrinology, and infectious diseases at the University Hospital Freiburg
- 2009 Heisenberg W2/W3 Professor in hepatology
- 2009-2013 Head of the newly founded Gerok Liver Centre of Freiburg
- 2012-2013 Assistant Medical Director
- 2013 Medical Director, Department of gastroenterology, hepatology, endocrinology, and infectious diseases at the University Hospital Freiburg
- 2019-2022 Vice Dean for academic affairs of the faculty of medicine at the Albert-Ludwigs University of Freiburg
- 2022 Vice Dean and Dean for the strategy of the faculty of medicine at the Albert-Ludwigs University of Freiburg
Awards & Memberships
- 1994 Ludwig Heilmeyer Prize of the Albert-Ludwigs University of Freiburg for the best experimental dissertation
- 2000 Postdoctoral Fellowship Award from the Cancer Research Institute in New York
- 2002 Research Award of the American Liver Foundation in San Diego
- 2003 Heine Medin Award of the European Society of Clinical Virology
- 2007 Dr. Norbert-Henning Prize for gastroenterology at the University of Erlangen
- 2007 Kussmaul Prize from the Southwest German Society of Gastroenterology
- 2007 Thieme Prize for medicine from the Leopoldina Academy for Natural Scientists
- 2009 Postdoctoral Fellow of the evaluation committee from the German Academic Exchange Service
- 2009 Spokesman of the Hepato-Regio-Net
- 2009 Speaker of the research unit of the German Research Foundation
- 2009-2012 Scientific Secretary of the German Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- 2011 Professional Board Member on the medicine of the German Research Foundation
- 2013-2018 Coordinator of Else-Kroener-Fresenius MD-Kolleg Project
- 2015 Co-Speaker of the SFB 1160 "IMPATH"
- 2015-2020 Coordinator of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Consortium (Horizon Project)
- 2016 Spokesman of the Berta-Ottenstein-Program for Clinician Researchers
- 2016 Speaker of SFB/TRR 179 symposium
- 2016 Scientific Member and Section Leader in immunology (International coalition to eliminate HBV/ ICE-HBV)
- 2017 Co-Speaker of newly established clinician scientist program EXCEL (funded by the Else-Kroener-Fresenius Foundation)
- 2018 Speaker of the Center for Medicine
- 2018 Coordinator of the Clinician Scientist Program IMM-PACT (funded by the German Research Foundation)
- 2019 Member of the permanent senate commission for fundamental issues in clinical research of the German Research Foundation
- 2019 Member of the research strategy board and rectorate of the Albert-Ludwigs University of Freiburg
- 2019 Election Member of the American Society for Clinical Investigation
- 2020 Project Leader H2020 IP-cure B Host-directed interventions to cure hepatitis B infections (EU-Project)
- 2020 Election Member of the Leopoldina - German National Academy of Sciences
- 2021 Member of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation's selection committee for the Award of Humboldt Research Fellowships
- 2021 Speaker of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research of Germany, advanced clinician scientist-program "IMMediate – Immune-Mediated Diseases"
- 2022 Member of the senate committee on collaborative research centers
SARS-CoV-2 and the liver: clinical and immunological features in chronic liver disease.
Proton pump inhibitor treatment aggravates bacterial translocation in patients with advanced cirrhosis and portal hypertension.
25 August, 2023
Enolase represents a metabolic checkpoint controlling the differential exhaustion programmes of hepatitis virus-specific CD8+ T cells.
4 August, 2023
About this place
What is the specialization of Prof. Dr. med. Robert Thimme?
The primary specialization of the doctor is internal medicine, gastroenterology, gastroenterologic oncology, and endocrinology, infectious diseases.
What is the experience of the specialist?
Get individual treatment plan and cost estimate. Non-binding 100% free assessment
© Prof. Dr. med. Robert Thimme