Prof. Dr. med. Daiana Stolz
internal medicine and pneumology
internal medicine and pneumology
University Hospital Freiburg
About the doctor
Skills & Expertise
50 expert tags for Prof. Dr. med. Daiana Stolz. Our tools analyze the strengths of the doctor using artificial intelligence. Check the data selected according to the AI policy below.
lower respiratory tract
respiratory tract infections
airway epithelial cells
obstructive pulmonary exacerbations
community acquired pneumonia
air pollution lung
bronchoalveolar lavage fluid
- 1991-1997 Studied human medicine at the Medical School of the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
- 1996 Visiting semester at the Philipps University of Marburg
- 1996 Visiting semester at the Thomas Jefferson University of Philadelphia
- 1996 Visiting semester at the Ruprecht Karls University of Heidelberg
- Obtaining a license for medical practice
- Defense of the dissertation
- 1998-1999 Residency in internal medicine (cardiology, angiology, and pneumology) at the University Hospital Heidelberg
- 1999-2001 Residency in internal medicine at the Canton Hospital of Winterthur (Prof. P. Ballmer)
- 2001-2002 Residency in internal medicine at the University Hospital of Zuerich (Prof. F. Follath)
- Obtaining specialization in internal medicine in Germany
- 2003 Received additional qualifications in the field of pneumology
- 2003-2005 Fellowship in pulmonary medicine at the University Hospital of Basel (Prof. M. Tamm)
- 2005 Obtaining specialization in internal medicine in Switzerland
- 2006-2008 Master Thesis in Harvard School of Public Health: “Smoke Stop Basel: smoking cessation in Switzerland”
- 2007 Habilitation and a teaching license at the University Hospital of Basel: “Chronic Obstructive pulmonary disease: predicting prognosis and optimizing outcome”
- 2008 Master’s degree in quantitative methods and public health from the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston
- Fellow of both the American College of Chest Physicians and the European Respiratory Society
- 2016 Invited Visiting Professor at the University of Thessaloniki
- 1995 Teaching Assistant in the Department of pharmacology at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
- 1996 Teaching Assistant in the Department of pharmacology at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
- 1998-1999 Supervision of medical students at the University Hospital Heidelberg
- 2004-2005 Lectures and tutorials for medical students at the University Hospital Basel
- 2005 Attending in internal medicine at the University Hospital of Basel
- 2005-2008 Coordination of the smoking cessation course at the University Hospital Basel
- 2006-2007 Assistant Professor, Department of pulmonology, allergy, and critical care medicine at the University of Massachusetts Medical School and University of Massachusetts Memorial Hospital
- 2007 Lectures and tutorials for medical students at the University Hospital Basel
- 2007 Assistant Professor for pulmonary medicine, Department of pulmonary and respiratory cell research at the University Hospital of Basel
- 2007 Attending in intensive care medicine at the University Hospital of Basel
- 2010 Research professorship from the Swiss National Foundation, Department of pulmonology and respiratory cell research at the University Hospital Basel
- 2016 Associate Professor, Department of pulmonology and respiratory cell research at the University Hospital Basel
- 2021 Full Professor and Medical Director of the Department of pulmonology at the University Hospital Freiburg
Awards & Memberships
- 2004 Pfizer Prize in infectious diseases
- 2005 Prize Viollier
- 2006 GlaxoSmithKline Research Award from the Swiss Pneumology Society
- 2006 Research Excellence Award in respiratory infections from the European Respiratory Society
- 2007 Swiss Internal Medicine Prize from the Swiss Internal Medicine Society
- 2008 Best Poster Award from the Swiss Pneumology Society
- 2010-2022 Co-Investigator at the FAILCAP study: "Clinical failure and cardiovascular events in hospitalized patients with community-acquired pneumonia"
- 2011 Best Poster Award from the European Respiratory Conference
- 2012 Swiss Internal Medicine Prize from the Swiss Internal Medicine Society
- 2013-2022 Co-Investigator of study: "BioVent - Biomarkers for mechanically ventilated patients cohort study"
- 2015 Co-Investigator of the European Respiratory Society clinical research collaboration - European Bronchiectasis Registry
- 2015 Prize Viollier
- 2015 Swiss Addiction Research Award
- 2016 Best Poster Award from the Swiss Pneumology Society
- 2016 Medical Faculty Award from the University Basel
- 2016 Co-Investigator of translational study: "The use of N2-washout for the early detection of bronchiolitis obliterans after allogeneic stem cell transplantation"
- 2016-2018 Co-Investigator of study: "Multiplex PCR on the bronchoalveolar lavage fluid of immunocompromised patients"
- 2016-2019 Co-Investigator of study: "Clinical impact of multiplex bacterial PCR of bronchoalveolar lavage in patients with suspected lower respiratory tract infections"
- 2017 Best Poster Award from the Swiss Pneumology Society
- 2017 Co-Applicant of the Swiss National Foundation grant - follow-up for swiss study on air pollution and lung diseases in adults
- 2017-2018 Co-Investigator of translational study: "Bronchial thermoplasty decreases airway remodeling by blocking epithelium-derived heat shock protein-60 secretion and protein arginine methyltransferase-1 in fibroblasts"
- 2017-2019 Co-Investigator of study: "Multiplex bacterial polymerase chain reaction in a cohort of patients with pleural effusion"
- 2017-2019 Co-Applicant of the Swiss National Foundation grant: “The ratio of C/EBP-α to C/EBP-β controls airway wall remodeling in asthma through the regulation of microRNA-17-92 cluster, PRMT1, and mitochondria in airway smooth muscle cells”
- 2017-2021 Co-Investigator of swiss study on air pollution and lung disease in adults cohort on healthy aging
- 2017-2021 Co-Investigator of translational study: "Bronchial thermoplasty in asthma-COPD overlap syndrome"
- 2018 Member of the Competence Network for community-acquired pneumonia – CAPNETZ study
- 2018-2019 Co-Investigator of case-control study: "Does trumpet playing affect lung function?"
- 2019 Co-Investigator of translational study: “Integrated host gene expression diagnostic in suspected pneumonia and COPD exacerbation”
- 2019 Co-Investigator of translational study: "Nitrogen washout versus Methacholine bronchoprovocation test for the diagnosis of bronchial asthma in patients with respiratory symptoms"
- 2019-2020 Co-Investigator of the PROSA-Study: "Predictive value of oxygen desaturation during conscious sedation for flexible bronchoscopy regarding Obstructive Sleep Apnea"
- 2019-2021 Co-Investigator of translational study: "Breath analysis using the Aeonose to diagnose acute pulmonary embolism"
- 2020 Co-Investigator of study: "Evaluating the usefulness of CT-scans in the diagnosis and management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients with exacerbations of respiratory symptoms"
- Member of the editorial boards of the European Respiratory Journal and Chest
- Chair of the European Respiratory Society education council
- Member of the Swiss Association for Medicine
- Member of the American College of Chest Physicians
- Member of the Swiss Pneumological Society
- Member of the European Respiratory Society
- Member of the American Thoracic Society
Mortality risk reduction with budesonide/glycopyrrolate/formoterol fumarate versus fluticasone furoate/umeclidinium/vilanterol in COPD: a matching-adjusted indirect comparison based on ETHOS and IMPACT
Evaluation of the clinical relevance of the Biofire FilmArray pneumonia panel among hospitalized patients
Implementing an Evidence-Based COPD Hospital Discharge Protocol: A Narrative Review and Expert Recommendations
Hugstetter Str., 55, 79106
About this place
Freiburg, located on the southern edge of the German Black Forest, is a university town famous for its medieval center. Its cobble
What is the specialization of Prof. Dr. med. Daiana Stolz?
The primary specialization of the doctor is internal medicine and pneumology.
What is the experience of the specialist?
Prof. Dr. med. Daiana Stolz
Get individual treatment plan and cost estimate. Non-binding 100% free assessment
© Prof. Dr. med. Daiana Stolz