Second Opinion from German Oncologist
The "second opinion" service in oncology is becoming increasingly in demand, thanks to the opportunity to receive qualified advice without leaving home.
Despite the apparent progress in medicine and science, the doctor cannot always make the correct diagnosis. Many depend on the doctors' experience, the clinic's technical capabilities, and even the patient's behavior.
In any case, the patient needs to be confident in his diagnosis. It is possible to prescribe effective treatment with an accurate diagnosis. How to understand the diagnosis? How to resolve your doubts? What does it mean when an oncologist tells you to get a second opinion?
What is the second opinion?
Suppose the patient doubts the correctness of the diagnosis or the patient's condition, despite treatment, does not improve, it is essential to get a qualified help from another specialist of another level of training and another medical institution.
This practice has long been widespread in many countries and has been called the "second opinion of the doctor."
You can make the right decision about the type of treatment or ensure the prescribed treatment is correct. It is an opportunity to learn more about your diagnosis and alternative treatment methods.
Oncology diagnosis can make a patient feel insecure, anxious, and depressed. Consultation with a German oncologist will support the fight against cancer.
The patient will receive all the answers to questions about the stage and type of cancer. In addition, the doctor will tell you about possible new methods of treatment, side effects, and their further impact on life.
Germany is a country with advanced cancer treatment technologies. The introduction of a new therapy is always associated with several clinical trials. Treatment in German clinics is becoming increasingly popular as cancer is treated more successfully in hospitals where advanced research is conducted. A consultation with a cancer specialist will answer the question about the possibility of participating in these trials.
So, what questions to ask second opinion med oncologist:
- make sure that the diagnosis is correct or clarify it;
- get more information about the disease (whether there are metastases in oncology, what complications, etc.);
- find out alternative treatment options and their advantages;
- find out if it is possible to avoid the operation;
- get recommendations on the daily routine, improving the quality of life, and rehabilitation period;
- find out why the disease is progressing despite the prescribed treatment,
- make sure that the analysis transcription is correct;
- choose the best treatment option;
- improve the psychological state.
Benefits of the second opinion on cancer treatment
Advantages of the service of the second opinion of a doctor in the treatment of cancer:
Simplicity and accessibility
The most important advantage of the second opinion is distance. That is an excellent option for obtaining a doctor's opinion and, if desired, meeting with a doctor without leaving home. In addition, for people with disabilities or elderly patients, the simplicity and accessibility of the method are a great advantage.
The next advantage of the method is budget. The second opinion is a clear alternative to medical tourism.
The second opinion is a guarantee of proper treatment. When a person is sure that the right course for recovery has been taken, treatment results are usually better and manifest themselves faster.
The doctor will not only confirm or refute the diagnosis but also give valuable recommendations on different lifestyles and nutrition and answer all your questions.
Remote consultations in Germany
Getting a second opinion from an oncologist, a highly qualified and independent medical expert who evaluates the correct treatment strategy, helps to clarify the situation.
There are many ways to get a second opinion. Despite the development of information technology, personal consultations remain the primary option. However, this is associated with higher time costs and financial resources, including travel, accommodation, and interpretation services. But on the other hand, visualization and the simultaneous presence of specialist doctors are required for some rare and specific diseases.
Interactive consultations have been developing rapidly in recent years. They include a thorough analysis of the medical history, symptoms, personal and family history, and, if necessary, a request for biochemical, laboratory, functional, and imaging tests. Such consultations have several types:
- Video consultation - allows you to talk to an oncologist and discuss treatment recommendations. It is held at a time convenient for all participants. After the video consultation, the patient receives a written report summarizing the discussion and suggestions.
- Written consultation: The oncologist will conduct a comprehensive written consultation on the relevant medical reports submitted in advance.
Studies show that alternative medical reports and telemedicine affect approximately 65 cases of cancer out of 100. That means that by double-checking, the patient can save money and time and avoid ineffective treatment.
Advantages of the oncologist's second opinion:
- no travel expenses;
- the opportunity to get an independent view of world-class doctors;
- recommendations for additional diagnostics;
- consultation on treatment and, if necessary, its correction;
- official conclusion signed by a doctor (on a medical form);
- a budget alternative to medical tourism;
- if desired, follow-up treatment in clinics abroad at a discount.
Why is it worth contacting a German oncologist for a consultation?
Germany is one of the countries-leaders in terms of cancer survival, according to Dr. Hermann Brenner from the German Cancer Research Center in the journal "Lancet." That is because German oncologists are developing advanced methods of early diagnosis and treatment of cancer. These specialists can choose a gentle treatment that will prolong the patient's life as much as possible.
These words are confirmed by the survival statistics of cancer patients at stage 3-4 of cancer, which was collected as part of the CONCORD-2 study and analyzed by the German Cancer Research Center:
- Breast cancer - 85%;
- Cervical cancer - 65%;
- Prostate cancer - 91%;
- Rectal cancer - 62%
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (in children under 14 years of age) - 92%
According to statistics, in 50% of cases, the treatment and diagnostic program changes significantly in patients who decide to get a second opinion. Sometimes it helps to save a patient's life.
The second opinion of a German oncologist helps:
- Save time and funds by starting the proper treatment without wasting resources.
- Find effective treatment options in complex cases. Sometimes one doctor recognizes a tumor is inoperable, and another knows how to remove it.
- Avoid the mistake of diagnosis, surgery, and chemotherapy if the person does not have cancer.
Today, this service is popularized by insurance companies. As a result, they include various medical services in their insurance products. In a few years, requests for a second medical opinion will become commonplace.
The best oncologists in Germany for distance consultations
According to the German National Association of Doctors Eligible for Compulsory Health Insurance, numerous doctors offer consultations in more than 25.000 clinics in Germany. And this number is constantly growing. So how can you find the right doctor in such a variety?
AiroMedical specialists do a great job of studying medical expertise and monitoring their work and medical practice. As a result, the recommended doctors are leaders in cancer research.
- Prof. Dr. med. Florian Basserman. His area of research is molecular pathophysiology of malignant diseases. He is interested in bone marrow failure syndrome, autologous transplantation in multiple myeloma, hemoglobinopathy in thalassemia, sickle cell anemia, and immunodeficiency.
- Prof. Dr. med. Harald-Robert Bruch MSc, Ph.D. - Specialist in Internal Medicine, hematology, oncology, gastroenterology, antitumor drug therapy, infectious diseases, pain relief, and palliative medicine.
- Prof. Dr. med. Marcus Gorschluter is a specialist in oncological treatment and counseling of patients with benign and malignant tumors and metastases in various organs. In addition, he gives recommendations on modern therapy for almost any malignant formation.
- PD. Dr. med. Peter Reichardt specializes in soft tissue sarcomas, bone tumors, gastrointestinal stromal tumors, malignant skin tumors, esophageal carcinomas, gastric carcinomas, pancreatic carcinomas, neuroendocrine tumors, gallbladder, and bile duct carcinomas.
- Prof. Dr. med. Michael von Bergwelt specializes in treating tumors of the gastrointestinal tract, the reproductive system of men and women, the breast, and malignant ascites. Another area of attention is lung cancer, malignant diseases of the gallbladder, pancreas, and liver, mesothelioma, head and neck tumors, soft tissue, and bone sarcomas.
- Prof. Dr. med. Markus Braun-Falco - his range of consultations and treatment includes general dermatology and allergology, surgical dermatology, and dermatology. The priority areas are dermatology, oncodermatology, and the treatment of rare skin diseases.
- Prof. Dr. med. Stefan Eber is one of the best specialists in pediatric and adolescent medicine, hematology, oncology, and hemostasiology. His consultations range from all anemia and blood clotting disorders to the end of all types of blood cancer (leukemia).
- Prof. Dr. med. Elke Jager - her area of interest: leukemia and lymphoma treatment, radiochemotherapy, stem cell transplantation (autologous, allogeneic, and umbilical cord blood transplantation), antibody therapy, immunotherapy, anemia, etc. Of particular interest are consultations on the treatment of bronchial carcinoma, malignant lymphoma, sarcomas, antibody therapy, immunotherapy, targeted therapy, and cytokine therapy
How to get a Second Opinion?
AiroMedical organizes second medical reports for various types of cancer. In addition, you can get a remote consultation on orthopedic surgery, cardiovascular diseases, brain tumors, spinal surgery, and much more.
What should I do to get an alternative opinion? To do this, you only need to take a few steps:
- Contact us in any way convenient for you.
- Provide all available medical information.
- Our patient coordinator will clarify the details with you and answer all your questions. In turn, we can offer you a list of the best German doctors offering the Second Opinion service.
- After final approval and receipt of the necessary documents, we do translations into a foreign language and send the documents to the doctor.
- After receiving an expert opinion from the doctor, we translate the conclusion into your native language. We are sending you the original forms of the specialist statement signed by the doctor and with the translation.
Our company offers you the opportunity to get an independent expert assessment of your health status or the health of loved ones and to find out the second opinion of German oncologists about the diagnosis and the treatment received.
Making an appointment with these specialists is difficult, but you can do it without leaving home. Leading specialists will get acquainted with your medical history and documentation and give an official conclusion. Thus, you will get answers to the questions that should be asked to the oncologist for the second opinion – "Is the diagnosis correct?", "Is the treatment optimal?", "Is there an alternative to surgery?"
The second medical opinion is your chance to get the most accurate diagnosis and the best treatment.
Where to receive an alternative cancer opinion?
- ResearchGate: Two oncologists, three opinions?
- The Lancet Journal: Cancer survival: the CONCORD-2 study
- Cancer Therapy Advisor: After a Bladder Cancer Diagnosis: Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- WebMD: How to Ask for a Second Opinion
- Cancer.Net: Seeking a Second Opinion