Treatment in Turkey (advantages and benefits)
Turkey is a popular tourist destination because of its welcoming culture and good standard of living. Today, it is one of the best countries for medical tourism. The clinics are equipped with advanced medical technology. The doctors confirm and upgrade their qualifications abroad every year. Turkey offers low-cost medical travel packages for patients. At the same time, the country combines treatment and wellness centers with spas and five-star hotels.
The main benefits of medical tourism in Turkey
Medical tourists highlight such pros of treatment in Turkey:
- Accreditation. World-known accreditation organizations confirm the quality of service in Turkey. More than 50 Turkish clinics are accredited by the Joint International Commission (JCI).
- Technical equipment of clinics. Centers of healthcare in Turkey have the latest facilities for therapy and rehabilitation. For example, the Medipol University Clinic has a visualization system that allows the doctor to take a 3D picture without moving the patient. A lot of patients can walk again with the Lokomat robotic system.
- Favorable geographical location. Turkey is the crossroads of two continents bordering Europe, Asia, and Central Asia. You can easily and quickly get here by direct flight from most countries. Turkey is accessible to many foreign patients without the need for a visa.
- Reasonable prices. The cost of healthcare in Turkey is 30-40% lower than in Europe, the USA, or Israel. At the same time, the quality is at a high level. Many Turkish hospitals are working under the «all-inclusive» system.
- The highest level of service. Foreign patients are offered:
- transfer from the airport;
- staying in a hotel;
- placement of relatives for the period of treatment;
- assistance in processing all necessary documents in native and Turkish languages.
- Innovative technologies. High-tech healthcare in Turkey is provided in the areas of cancer treatment, cardiovascular surgery, neurosurgery, pediatric surgery, and face and body plastics.
- Experienced staff. Many doctors have internship and work experience in Europe and the USA. All procedures related to Turkey's medical tourism are supervised by the Ministry of Health.
- Private medical care is available compared to Western European clinics and, at the same time, meets their standards. According to the data, in 2021, there were 1,538 medical institutions and 1.7 doctors for every 1,000 people in Turkey.
- Combining rest and treatment. After rehabilitation, patients can visit the excursions, see the sights of the country and spend time by the sea.
The most popular destinations of medical tourism in Turkey
According to statistics, medical tourists often go to Turkey for cancer treatment, organ transplantation, and microsurgery. The ophthalmology departments of many multidisciplinary hospitals in the system of healthcare in Turkey specialize in the cure of cataracts, myopia, myopathy, retinal dystrophy, and glaucoma.
Plastic and aesthetic surgery is prevalent among tourists who want to take healthcare in Turkey, both women, and men. In addition, the fields of neurosurgery, cardiology, dentistry, urology, obstetrics, gynecology, orthopedics, and traumatology are also in demand.
Statistics of the Turkish healthcare system say that half of the foreigners choose the country for treatment:
- brain tumors;
- tumors of the spinal cord;
- malignant blood illnesses;
- breast cancer;
- neoplasms of the lungs;
- prostate cancer.
The method of treatment doctors selects individually for each medical tourist. In this case, they take into account the type and size of the tumor, its location, the presence of metastases, etc. The main methods:
- Radiation therapy. Ionizing radiation can kill cancer cells and reduce their growth. The cells stop dividing, and the tumor gradually collapses.
- Radiosurgery healthcare in Turkey with a CyberKnife and a Gamma Knife. These devices deliver high doses of radiation precisely to the tumor without harming healthy cells.
- Surgical treatment. Surgeons of Turkish clinics perform operations without incisions through small punctures in the body. For greater accuracy and fewer complications, doctors use a robot DaVinci.
Cancer hospitals in Turkey
Aesthetic operations on the nose (rhinoplasty) and breast (mammoplasty) are the most common destinations of healthcare in Turkey. Men mainly come to Turkey for dental treatment and hair transplantation. The doctor extracts hair follicles from areas with thick hair and transfers them to the place of baldness. Donor hair follicles are mostly taken from the back of the head. In 90%, the result is noticeable after a few months.
Women prefer facelift surgery, rhinoplasty, and liposuction. Liposuction is the removal of excess fat accumulated locally by vacuum. It is used by plastic surgeons to reduce and remove excess fat in any part of the body. Blepharoplasty, breast reconstruction and abdominoplasty are no less popular among medical tourists in Turkey.
Diagnostics and Check-up
Preventive examinations are recommended to absolutely everyone at least once every two years. But especially for people over 35 years old with bad habits and chronic illnesses. Check-up complexes are a very popular destination in healthcare in Turkey. You can get detailed information about the state of your health in a short time (from 3-5 hours to 4 days). General diagnostics in the system of healthcare in Turkey allows you to identify risk factors and eliminate problems at an early stage. The doctor also gives practical recommendations for the treatment and prevention of diseases.
Cost of healthcare in Turkey
The final pricing depends on the methods chosen by the doctor for diagnosis and treatment. After a detailed study of every case, the doctor selects the necessary treatment plan for each patient. Therefore, with the same diagnoses, the price may be different, depending on the severity of the sickness, the age of the patient, etc.
Many patients do not consider treatment abroad because of the high price. Commonly, Turkish health care is much more accessible compared to European countries. Furthermore, Turkish hospitals do not limit pricing but strictly ensure no fraud. Otherwise, the doctor is deprived of his license and prohibited from conducting medical activities.
Turkey Healthcare: the trip with AiroMedical
Choosing a clinic on your own is difficult and time-consuming. To be examined or treated in one of the best Turkish clinics, it is worth contacting experienced specialists of the company AiroMedical. For everyone, we prepare an individual offer from several clinics ready to receive the patient immediately.
In our work, we are based on medical documents. The doctor-coordinator will answer all your questions related to adequate healthcare in Turkey. Experts of AiroMedical will help you with choosing a doctor and the most suitable medical center. Call us or leave a request on the website to make an appointment at the best clinic in Turkey for a check-up or treatment.
- Joint International Commission: Search for JCI-accredited Organizations
- Primary Health Care Performance Initiative: Turkey: Greater availability of primary care services results in high patient and physician satisfaction
- Health Management: Turkish Healthcare: Overview of the Health System
- National Library of Medicine: The Turkish Medicines and Medical Devices Agency: Comparison of Its Registration Process with Australia, Canada, Saudi Arabia, and Singapore
- Leading companies trust Statista: Share of individuals who said select problems were the biggest facing the health care system in Turkey in 2021