Liver Metastases Treatment Abroad
Metastasis is the spread of cancer cells through the blood and lymph. Malignant processes in the liver occur at the fourth stage of various types of cancer. Until recently, metastases in the liver were considered incurable. But medicine does not stand still. Today the sickness is successfully treated abroad with the help of gentle and ultra-modern methods. The patient is also provided with a personalized liver repair program. Learn about the latest approaches to liver metastasis treatment in advanced clinics worldwide.
How and why metastases are formed in the liver?
The main reason is the peculiarity of the liver. Whole body blood passes through this organ. The cancer cells get into the liver through the blood vessels and germinate there. As a result, a person feels discomfort on the right side and swelling of the abdomen and limbs. Abnormal cells grow and form metastases. Stomach cancer, colon and rectal tumors, pancreatic carcinoma, lung neoplasms, and breast cancer are most often metastasized to the liver.
Progression of liver metastasis is caused by:
- age-related changes;
- weakening of immunity;
- viral infections;
- unbalanced diet;
- frequent stresses.
Metastatic cancer is 18-40 times more common than initially. At risk are men older than 50 years.
Liver Metastasis Treatment Abroad
Treatment abroad means innovative procedures with minimal intervention. Assistance is provided by doctors from various fields of medicine: hepatology, oncology, radiology, virology, and clinical pharmacology. The best results are found in Israel, Germany, Turkey, and the Czech Republic clinics. It is because they have modern equipment and techniques to combat liver metastases.
Traditionally, neoplasms are surgically removed. However, in 70-80% of cases, the metastases are inoperable. The development of technologies in medicine has opened up other types of gentle treatment:
- Chemoembolization. The drug is injected into the hepatic artery through a catheter. That reduces the nutrition of the tumor. A high dose of chemotherapy drugs acts directly on metastases.
- Radiofrequency ablation. A high-frequency current is supplied to the neoplasm through a special needle-electrode. In mutated cells, the temperature rises, and they die. Treatment is effective for single liver metastases.
- Cryotherapy. Cancer cells are frozen and destroyed with liquid nitrogen.
- Immunotherapy. Unique antibodies detect and destroy malignant cells.
- Targeted therapy. The drug Sorafenib (Nexavar) is successfully used in 60 countries around the world. It affects only the tumor and its metastases, corrects the work of the liver, and stimulates regenerative processes.
- Radioembolization (SIRT therapy). Small particles with the radioactive isotope Yttrium-90 in the hepatic artery can destroy liver metastasis. Irradiation does not harm healthy cells.
- Radiosurgery. Doctors use special devices (GammaKnife, CyberKnife, and NanoKnife) that can penetrate the most remote areas of the body. The method can destroy tumors up to 6 mm in size. Multiple metastases may be a limitation of the procedure.
Benefits of treatment abroad
The main advantages are:
- high qualification of professionals with long-term clinical experience;
- the most modern lab and instrumental diagnostic methods;
- individual selection of treatment;
- psychological support;
- fixed prices for each of the procedures.
Who specializes in hepatic metastases treatment?
The best clinics for the Liver Metastases Treatment
Patients all over the world are searching for targeted hepatic metastases therapy. Unfortunately, when someone has faced the issue, it might be too late to spend hours on clinic selection. The AiroMedical team has already ranked hospitals that apply advanced and alternative treatments for liver metastases.
It is a leading clinic in Germany, which ideally combines therapeutic, rehabilitation, and research areas. For more than 100 years, it has become a world-famous and popular medical facility. Moreover, the clinic is one of the best technically equipped in the world: the latest developments and methods for liver metastases treatment.
Among the main technical achievements of the University Hospital are the gamma scalpel and the Da Vinci robotic system. In addition, the Oncology Centre is one of the country's largest and most sought-after medical facilities that deal with cancer treatment.
The clinic has a certificate from the German Cancer Society and the German non-profit organization for the fight against cancer. During the year, more than 16,000 cancer patients chose the hospital for treatment. The department of Oncology and Radiation therapy operates on the base of the Rechts Der Isar Clinic. For the treatment of liver metastasis, doctors use the latest models of linear accelerators, brachytherapy, and advanced technologies. As a result, patients achieve long-term remission even after treating liver carcinoma with distant metastasis.
It is a medical group of hospitals that promotes health tourism in Turkey. The services are fully compliant with the Ministry of Health. Due to its high quality and safety, the clinic received international accreditation from the Joint Commission International. The main advantages of the hospital include:
- Memorial Sisli Hospital Istanbul has about 40 units (including the department of medical oncology);
- Patients comfortably undergo all the necessary examinations and receive consultations from highly specialized doctors;
- The hospital adheres to modern standards of treatment to ensure the highest quality and safety;
- An interdisciplinary approach guarantees the highest possible treatment results and minimizes wrong decisions.
- The center has a team of professional doctors and specialists who together achieve considerable success in the treatment of metastatic cancer;
- The European Radiosurgery Centre has a certificate of expert radio-surgical center;
- Employs specialists with knowledge of working with radiosurgical systems;
- Provides high-level medical services;
- Use innovative, safe methods of therapy and modern, high-quality equipment.
- Use of modern treatment methods and the regular achievement of successful therapeutic results;
- Only first-class doctors with an incredible accuracy of movements, talent, and a huge store of knowledge;
- The Gamma Knife Center in Hannover has the best diagnostic, surgical, and other equipment.
- The Centre offers comprehensive biological concepts combined with the most promising treatments for liver metastases treatment;
- Specialists use the latest generation equipment, and effective drugs with minimal side effects;
- The Centre provides such advanced methods as targeted therapy and biological immunotherapy;
- Complementary medicine concepts are developed in collaboration with specialists from various technical fields.
- Preservation of healthy tissues and organs of the patient due to the most accurate direction of the proton beam directly to the tumor;
- The ability to destroy all cancer cells by increasing the dose of radiation;
- Less than 8% risk of side effects;
- Rapid patient recovery after treatment;
- Fewer numbers of recurrences compared to chemotherapy.
The presence of liver metastases indicates the prevalence of the process. Modern therapies allow you to stop the growth of neoplasms. However, treating metastases in the liver is only part of the task of your oncologist. And adequate treatment requires a complex tactic, determined with the participation of a group of specialists (Concilium or tumor-board).
Every day, AiroMedical’s medical consultants pick up medical solutions. Our doctors will tell you where to start and help you choose a country and a clinic for treatment. In addition, many specialists practice remote consultations on the choice of a particular therapy method. Please get in touch with us to make an appointment for a remote or face-to-face consultation.
Therapy of liver metastasis is a process that requires the immediate intervention of professionals: timely and correct diagnosis and an individually selected therapy allowed for going into remission.
Our experts will find the best solutions to your problem. And we are always ready to answer any questions about treating liver metastases abroad.
Call us now. Together we will win!