Department of gynaeco-oncology (gynaecological cancer)
About the department
The department of gynaeco-oncology (gynaecological cancer) at the University Hospital Frankfurt am Main of Goethe-University specializes in the malignancies of the female reproductive system as a part of the University Center for Tumor Diseases (UCT). It is certified in all categories and is one of the leading centres in the relevant area. Four operation rooms with 15 staff members work according to the latest science standards and are certified according to DIN-ISO 9001:2000. In addition to traditional surgical and conservative treatment, various supportive options are offered, such as psycho-oncological counselling. The wards contain modern double and single rooms with maximum comfort and round-the-clock nursing care.
The specialists are focused on gynaecological surgery, surgeries in removing the cancer tumours and breast cancer within the interdisciplinary breast centre. A so-called dysplasia consultation hour is organised for malignant diseases and their preliminary stages of the cervix and external genital organs. The outpatient clinic is responsible for consulting on all other malignant diseases. In addition, the department offers evidence-based surgical minimally invasive methods for tumour treatment.
Treatment and diagnostic focus of the department
- Lab testing (blood testing, biochemical blood testing, urinalysis, and more)
- Radiological imaging (X-ray, CT scanning)
- MRI scan (soft tissue visualization)
- CT scan (soft and solid tissues visualization)
- Colposcopy (Visualization of uterine cervix)
- Biopsy (cutting off a small piece of tissue, for example - tumour)
- Pelvic Ultrasound
- Hormonal testing
Diseases treated at the department:
- Ovarian cancer
- Cervical carcinoma
- Endometrial cancer
- Vulvar carcinoma
- Vaginal carcinoma
- Borderline tumours (low malignant potential tumours)
- Vulvar and cervical precancerous lesions (dysplasia) and all rare ovarian tumours
- Recurrent cancers
- Breast cancer
- BRCA1/BRCA2 mutations
- Tumour surgery
- Chemotherapy, other treatment of cancer
- Hysterectomy (removal of the uterus)
- Minimally invasive surgical techniques
- Prophylactic surgeries, preventive removal of ovaries or uterus
- Breast-saving surgery to plastic-oncological reconstruction and aesthetic surgery
- Sentinel node biopsy, sentinel lymph node removal to avoid extensive axillary surgery
- Implantation of venous port systems so that a vein does not have to be punctured every time during chemotherapy
- 1987-94 Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz
- 1989-90 Université René Descartes, Paris, France
- 1991 Universidad Autonoma, Madrid, Spain
- 1992-93 Nihon University, Tokyo, Japan
- 1994 3rd medical state examination American state examination (USMLE I+II)
- 1992-95, Ph.D. Prof. Dr. WEG Müller, Institute for Physiological Chemistry, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz "In vitro testing of potentially antiviral substances against HIV in the MTT test" - Magna cum Laude
- 2006, habilitation, Prof. Dr. D. Wallwiener, University Women's Clinic Tübingen "Tumor cell dissemination and tumour cell persistence in breast cancer - influence of systemic therapy and characteristics of the disseminated cells.
- 1/2010 Specialist examination in palliative medicine"
- 5/2006 Optional further training examination: special surgical gynecology/gynecological oncology
- 4/03 Optional further training examination: special obstetrics and perinatal medicine
- 7/02 German specialist examination: doctor for gynecology and obstetrics
- 6/01 Board certification for Gynecology and Obstetrics by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG).
- 7/2012 Director of the Department of gynaeco-oncology (gynaecological cancer) at the University Hospital Frankfurt am Main of Goethe-University
- 8/2009 Leading Senior Physician, University Women's Hospital in Tübingen
- 5/2008 Lecturer at the University Women's Clinic in Tübingen
- 5/2007 Senior specialist in gynaecology
- since 5/04 Operative Senior Physician, Head of the Section for Operative Gynecology, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Tubingen.
- 2002-04 Head of department for clinical obstetrics/delivery room, Department of Gynecology, University Hospital Tuebingen.
- 1997-01 Residency at the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA, Prof. Dr. Harold E Fox.
- 1996-97 Institute for Pathology, Technical University of Munich, Klinikum Rechts der Isar, Prof. Dr. H. Hofler
- 1995-96 Women's Clinic of the St. Joseph's Hospital, Wiesbaden, Academic Teaching Hospital of the University of Frankfurt, Prof. Dr. G. Hoffman
Awards, memberships, publications
- German Society for Gynecology and Obstetrics (DGGG)
- Professional Association of Gynecologists (BVF)
- German Cancer Society (DKG)
- German Senological Society (DSG)
- American College of Gynecology and Obstetrics (ACOG)
- Working Group on Gynecological Oncology (AGO)
- Working Group on Gynecological Endoscopy (AGE)
- German Society for Perinatal Medicine (DGPM)
- European companion Gynaecology/obstetrics German-French language
- German Society for Ultrasound in Medicine (DEGUM)
- European Society of Gynecologic Oncology (ESGO)
- Together with Diethelm Wallwiener, the author of the 4th edition of the Atlas of Gynecologic Surgery.
- 6/2010 Awarded the “Extraordinary Professorship” from the University of Tübingen
- Author of 300 publications