Department of pediatric neurology
About the department
The department of pediatric neurology at the University Hospital Charite Berlin specialises in diagnosing and treating nervous system diseases. It is a world-leading pediatric institution for various neurological conditions, including rare and genetic disorders with primary neurological symptoms. The unit is equipped with state-of-art facilities and consists of experienced doctors at its disposal. The clinic ensures an interdisciplinary approach to each case. In addition, the department cooperates with the Charite Social Pediatric Center. The centre is a part of the Otto Heubner Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the Charite. Moreover, the department is a research and teaching academic centre of Charite Berlin. It is worth saying that the unit chief is a member of numerous national and international societies and an author of publications.
The department diagnoses and treats congenital diseases, neurocutaneous syndromes, pain disorders, movement disorders, vascular changes, and metabolic diseases in children and adolescents.
Treatment and diagnostic focus of the department
- computed tomography (CT)
- magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- laboratory testing
Movement disorders treatment:
- Parkinson's disease
- gait disturbances
Demyelinating diseases treatment:
- multiple sclerosis
- acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (ADEM)
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS)
- leukoencephalopathies such as progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
- neuromyelitis optica (Devic's disease)
Neuromuscular diseases treatment
- amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- muscular dystrophy
- myasthenia gravis
- spinal muscular atrophy
- 1994 – 1996 Medical School, Freien Universität Berlin
- 2001: German Medical State Exam; 2000: USMLE Step 1 und 2
- 1996-2001 Medical School, Humboldt Universität zu Berlin
- 2001-2003 Assistant Physician, University Hospital at the Technical University of Dresden.
- 2003-2006 Assistant Physician, Department of Pediatric Neurology, Charite University Hospital Berlin. 2006 Medical Specialist, Department of Pediatric Neurology, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 2009-2010 Senior Resident, Department of Pediatric Neurology, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 2010-2015 Senior Physician, Department of Pediatric Neurology, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- Since 2015 Medical Director of the Social Pediatric Center (C33) at the Charite.
- Since 2017 Head of the Department of Pediatric Neurology, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
Awards, memberships, publications
- 70 original publications, 20 reviews, 4 editorials, 14 book chapters,
- Cumulative impact factor ca. 400, citations ca. 3200, Hirsch factor 29, i10 index 52