Department of dermatology and allergology
About the department
The department of dermatology and allergology at University Hospital rechts der Isar of the Technical University (TUM) Munich in numbers is 4 wards, 2 operating theatres and an operation room, 74 beds serving 4,600 inpatients, around 30,000 outpatients and over 40 assistant physicians and specialists. The department functions as a leading clinical, academic and research centre. The scientific groups of the department include but are not limited to: The allergology and Immunology Research Group, Experimental Dermato-Immunology, Malignant melanoma (black skin cancer) working group. The head of the department is a world-class specialist, a university professor with more than 300 publications and numerous awards.
A wide range of dermatological (related to skin diseases) and allergological diseases of children and adults of all ages are treated at the department. There are five laboratories in use and a range of modern devices for further examinations. Treatment options include conservative, experimental, surgical and interventional methods.
Treatment and diagnostic focus of the department
Treatment in the following sub-specializations:
- Dermato-infectiology (skin infections, including sexually transmitted diseases)
- Dermato-oncology (benign and malignant tumours of the skin and mucous membranes)
- Inflammatory skin diseases (psoriasis, atopic eczema (neurodermatitis)
- Pediatric dermatology (skin diseases in childhood and hereditary disorders or genodermatoses)
- Photodermatology (photoallergies)
- Phlebology (vascular diseases, venous diseases)
- Chronic Wounds, e.g. venous and arterial leg ulcers, diabetic leg ulcers, necrotizing vascular inflammation and pyoderma gangrenosum
Diagnosis of skin diseases and allergies:
- Laboratory for allergology,
- Laboratory for autoimmune diagnostics,
- Laboratory for histology,
- Laboratory for mycology,
- Laboratory for andrology and venereal diseases
- Duplex sonography (special ultrasound to examine blood vessels),
- Light reflection rheography (LRR, checking vein function using infrared light),
- Colour duplex and volumetric examinations
- Treatment for all infectious diseases of the skin and all sexually transmitted diseases.
- Removal of the “sentinel” lymph node, skin malformations, venous diseases, acne inversa / hidradenitis suppurativa under local and general anaesthesia.
- Training programs and trainer seminars for neurodermatitis.
- Phototherapy of numerous skin diseases (UVB-311nm, UVA1 and all types of PUVA therapy).
- Therapy for venous dysfunction.
- Treatment of chronic wounds of various origins.
- Laser therapy systems
- Soft X-ray therapy devices
- Study of medicine at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich
- Internship at the Department of dermatology and allergology, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich
- Specialist in dermatology and venereology (Bavarian State Medical Association)
- Research fellowship at the German Research Foundation, Vienna, Austria
- European Society fellowship for dermatologic research
- Specialization in allergology (Bavarian Medical Association)
- 2001 Habilitation at the Department of immune dermatology at the University Clinic for Dermatology in Vienna
- Training in dermatohistology (South Wurttemberg District Medical Association)
- Training in Laboratory medicine (South Württemberg District Medical Association)
- Specialization in drug-based tumour therapy (South Wurttemberg District Medical Association)
- Scholarship from the German Academic Exchange Service
- Dr. med., Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- Senior Physician, University Dermatology Clinic, Head of the allergy and immunology research group, Head of the laboratories for allergology and apecial dermatology, Tubingen
- 2003-2014 C3 professorship for dermatology and venereology, Eberhard Karls University of Tubingen
- 2013 W3 professorship of the Chair and the Director of the Department of adult and pediatric dermatology, allergology at the Technical University of Munich
Awards, memberships, publications
- 2005 Immunomodulation Research Award
- 2011-2012 President of the European Society of Dermatological Research
- 2014 President of the 'International Mast Cell and Basophil Meeting
- 2016 President Meeting of the European Society for Dermatological Research, Munich
- 2017 Coordinator Priority Program 1394 of the German Research Foundation: Mast cells-promoters of health and modulators of disease (with Prof. Maurer, Berlin)
- 2017 Secretary-General of the German Dermatological Society
- Research fellow of the German Research Foundation
- Award for Translational Research in Dermatology
- Alfred Marchionini Research Award
- Author of more than 400 publications