Department of neurological rehabilitation
About the department
The department specializes in treating patients with neurological conditions requiring rehabilitation, such as stroke, traumatic brain injury, spine trauma, Parkinson's syndrome, and multiple sclerosis. To ensure the optimal course of therapy, the team of doctors begins neurological early rehabilitation during emergency care in the hospital. This increases the chances of maximum recovery of lost neurological functions. After the patient is conscious, the hospital's specialists continue to work and carry out further rehabilitation to restore the patient's ability to self-care in everyday life. For this, doctors use various physiotherapeutic methods and the latest equipment, such as the latest Lokomat device for gait training. Modern techniques help restore gait and fine and gross motor skills of the hands. Patients also receive medical care from speech therapists for language and speech disorders, swallowing disorders, and voice disorders. In addition, neuropsychologists are engaged in the restoration of cognitive functions. All rehabilitation activities are carried out according to an individually prescribed course of therapy under the strict supervision of the department's specialists.
The department provides rehabilitation for all congenital and acquired diseases of the brain and spinal cord, peripheral nerves, and muscles. In addition to robotic treatment, the department also has other modern therapeutic devices that allow you to repeat high-frequency exercises to restore the motor functions of the arms and legs.
Treatment and diagnostic focus of the department
- Traumatic brain injury
- Inflammatory diseases of the nerves and the brain such as meningitis, multiple sclerosis, Guillain-Barre syndrome
- Patients with critical illness myopathy and neuropathy
- All movement disorders in the neurological field, for example, Parkinson's syndrome, cerebellar ataxia, dystonia
- Muscle inflammation and muscle paralysis (for example, after a herniated disc)
- Rehabilitation after neurosurgical operations
- Peripheral nerve injuries
- Transcranial duplex sonography
- Video endoscopy
- Nerve conduction study
- Evoked potentials and velocity study
- CT-scan or Х-ray
- Other diagnostic services
- Physical therapy (manual lymphatic drainage, balance and coordination training, kinesiology taping)
- Robotic rehabilitation
- Sports and exercise therapy
- Occupational therapy (fine motor skills training, mirror therapy)
- Speech and swallowing therapy
- Neuropsychology (assessment of concentration, memory, ability to plan and solve problems)
- Other treatment procedures
- 1984 -1990 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Göttingen.
- 1990 - 1998 Highly specialized training for board certification, Rechts der Isar Hospital Munich.
- 1999 Habilitation in Neurology.
- 1998 - 2006 Senior Physician, then Senior physician with management responsibilities, Department of Neurology at the University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich.
- 2003 Extraordinary Professorship at the Faculty of Medicine of the Technical University of Munich.
- 2006 - 2010 Chief Physician and Medical Director of the Neurological Rehabilitation Clinic Medical Park Loipl, Bischofswiesen.
- Since 2010 Physician with management responsibilities, then Chief Physician of the Department of Neurology and Neurological Rehabilitation at the Rehabilitation Clinic Benedictus Krankenhaus Feldafing
Awards, memberships, publications
- German Society of Neurology (DGN).
- German Society for Neurocritical Care and Emergency Medicine (DGNI).
- German Society for Clinical Neurophysiology (DGKN).
- German Society for Ultrasound in Medicine (DEGUM).
- German Stroke Society (DSG).
- Working Group for the Treatment of Brain Diseases of the German Society of Neurology (DGN).
- Working Group on Botulinum Toxin Application of the German Society of Neurology (DGN).