Department of geriatrics
About the department
The department of geriatrics at Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch has around 150 beds, a day clinic, and a geriatric outpatient clinic and cares for more than 3,000 patients per year. Geriatricians specialize in treating older people with multiple illnesses (multimorbidity) who are limited by their acute or chronic diseases. The therapeutic goal of geriatric medicine is to achieve the greatest possible independence, mobility, and quality of life. Physical medicine is an essential part of holistic patient care. The aim is to help the patients to help themselves so that they can actively and independently support the healing or rehabilitation process and prevent new problems. The department's life was broadcasted in a TV show, "The Heart's Blood Task" on the channel SAT1.
Treatment priorities cover the chronic and acute conditions in the elderly, including disabilities and limitations present at this age. A wide range of supportive and medical care is provided with expertise, including physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, and social and psychological counselling.
Treatment and diagnostic focus of the department
- Chronic diseases such as diabetes, circulatory disorders, high blood pressure or similar.
- Functional limitations such as reduced hearing, vision and limitations in mobility.
- Disabilities of different degrees from slight forgetfulness to dementia or Parkinson's disease.
- Therapy of acute and chronic conditions
- Adjustment of medication
- Advice and training
- Brain performance diagnostics
- Support for depression and grief reactions
- Activating care
- Medication administration
- Change of dressing
- Advice on wound care
- Daily structuring
- Cognitive training
- Fine motor skills exercises
- Swallowing diagnostics and training
- Exercises for aphasia and dysphasia (speech disorders)
Social Services/Dismissal Management:
- Assistance with transition to a retirement/nursing home
- Advice on care levels
- Home care planning
- Coordination with relatives and family doctor
- Water therapy
- Heat therapy
- Inhalation therapy
- Classic massages
- Special massages such as connective tissue massage, periosteum massage, intestinal massage
- Manual lymph drainage
- Manual extension
- Human medicine at the Medical University of Wroclaw
- Specialization in geriatrics (Prof. Dr. G Kolb) in Lingen
- 2012-2020 Senior Physician at the department of geriatrics at Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
- 2020 Head of the geriatrics and physical medicine center at Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch