About the department
The breast centre at Academic Hospital DRK Berlin-Kopenick specialises in diagnosing and treating various breast diseases. It is worth mentioning that the department is certified by the German Cancer Society (DKG) as a Breast Cancer Centre. The interdisciplinary team of the department consist of qualified and experienced specialists who follow the latest international guidelines in routine medical practice. Furthermore, the breast centre is well equipped according to modern technologies. The head physician of the department participates in numerous societies for gynaecology, obstetrics and cancer treatment. In addition, doctors of the department are founding members of the Kombra Network - Competence training for breast cancer activists.
The main focus of the breast centre lies in the precise diagnosis of benign and malignant tumours of the breast. Patients with tumorous diseases get different treatment methods and high-level medical care. Moreover, patients get psychological counselling and professional support. In addition to classical surgical technics, the department offers skin-sparing mastectomy and a variety of breast reconstruction methods.
Treatment and diagnostic focus of the department
- breast X-ray (mammography)
- computed tomography (CT)
Breast cancer surgery:
- breast-conserving surgery
- mastectomy (removal of the breast)
- skin-sparing mastectomy
- modified radical mastectomy
- reconstructive surgery after breast cancer with implants
- reconstructive surgery after breast cancer with autologous fat
- removal of sentinel lymph nodes
Other cancer therapy methods:
- chemotherapy for early and advanced cancer stages
- combined therapy
- Human medicine at the Free University (FU) Berlin
- Doctorate 1991 specialist in gynaecology and obstetrics at the Charité University Medicine, Berlin
- Senior Physician at the Charité Breast Center
- Coordinating senior physician at the interdisciplinary breast centre at the Charité
- Head of the Köpenick Breast Center, DRK Kliniken Berlin | Koepenick
Awards, memberships, publications
- German Society for Gynecology and Obstetrics
- AWOgyn working group for aesthetic, plastic and restorative
- Surgical procedures in gynaecology e.V.
- Society for Gynecology and Obstetrics (DGGG)
- German Society for Senology
- German Cancer Society e.V.
- Working group for gynaecological oncology, e. V
- North-East German Society for Gynecological Oncology
- A federal working group of leading physicians in gynaecology and Obstetrics, e.V.
- Sophia e.V. - (Association of Leading Women Specialists on Breast Cancer/women in leadership positions in senology)
- Working group for urogynaecology and plastic pelvic floor reconstruction
- Berlin Cancer Society e.V.
- Berlin Society for Obstetrics and Gynecology (Chairman)
- Tumor Center Berlin e.V.
- Doctors against breast cancer e.V. in Berlin
- Founding member of the Kombra Network e.V. - Competence training for breast cancer activists
- Health and rehabilitation sports club DRK Kliniken Berlin | Koepenick