Department of urology
About the department
The department of urology at University Hospital of the Ludwig-Maximilians-University (LMU) Munich specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with urinary system diseases, as well as men and boys with disorders of the reproductive system. According to Focus Magazine, the department is among the best German urological departments to treat prostate cancer. The department is certified as a Prostate Cancer Center according to the standards of the German Cancer Society. The department treats more than 4,000 patients a year. The excellent level of medical service provided by the doctors, nursing staff and the cutting-edge modern equipment, guarantee the patient a comfortable stay and the best possible result. Furthermore, the department is one of the few centres that can offer Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP), which can remove the prostate through the urethra. This method made it possible to replace usual surgical interventions through the anterior abdominal wall or bladder (open prostate adenoma enucleation). The department conducts 2-3 Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate daily. The effectiveness has been confirmed by numerous clinical studies and has also been recommended by the German and International Urological Association.
A particular focus of the department is the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. In addition, the department deals with surgical treatment of oncological diseases, congenital diseases, inflammatory and infectious diseases of the genitourinary system.
Treatment and diagnostic focus of the department
- Malignant tumours of the
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Urethral stricture
- Urinary incontinence
- Urethral stones
- Inflammation of the urinary tract
- Pelvic prolapse
- Blood test, urine test
- Prostate-specific antigen blood test
- Palpation (digital rectal examination)
- Transrectal ultrasound examinations
- Ultrasound measurement of bladder wall thickness
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Cystoscopy (to see the bladder and urethra using a thin, lighted tube)
- PET-CT of the lymph nodes (for the malignant tumour)
- Biopsy of the sentinel lymph nodes
- Surgical treatment, including laparoscopic and robotic surgery
- Radiation therapy
- Hormone therapy
- Transurethral resection of the bladder (TUR-B)
- Laser therapy
- Radical surgery (at progressive stages)
- Holmium laser enucleation (HoLEP)
- Vaporization (GreenLight laser)
- Thermal ablation and external thermal methods
- 1978 Beginning of the study of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Saarland University.
- 1980 Entry into the Student Foundation of the German People (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes).
- 1982 Three-month practice in Bophuthatswana (South Africa).
- 1982 Study in Freiburg (Breisgau).
- 1983 One-year practice in Montpellier (France) as a Scholar of the French government and the German Academic Exchange
- Service (DAAD).
- 1984 Admission to medical practice, military service in the Department of Urology at the Bundeswehr Hospital in Ulm, (Prof. Altwein).
- 1985 Doctoral thesis defence with honours, University Hospital Homburg.
- 1987 Research Fellow in the Department of Urology at the University of California, San Francisco (Prof. Tanago) as a Scholar of the
- German Research Foundation (DFG).
- 1990 Examination for the title of Medical Specialist (Senior Physician).
- 1991 Habilitation and Venia Legendi in Urology.
- 1999 Certification for additional training in Urology (Special Surgical Urology).
- 1987 Assistant Physician in the Department of Urology, University Hospital Freiburg (Prof. Sommerkamp).
- 1988 Assistant Physician at the University Hospital Freiburg (one-year practice in Surgery, Prof. Farthmann).
- 1989 Assistant Physician in the Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology at the Hannover Medical School (Prof. Jonas).
- 1995 Managing Senior Physician.
- 2004 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Urology at the University Hospital of the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
Awards, memberships, publications
- 2004-2006 EAU Board Member responsible for the Publication Office
- 2006 - 2012 Associate Editor, European Urology
- 2018 Member of the Scientific Council (Medical Committee)
- Radiotherapy of oligometastatic prostate cancer: a systematic review
- Management of prostatitis and bacterial epididymitis