Department of endocrinology and diabetology
About the department
The department of endocrinology and diabetology at PAN Clinic Cologne deals with the detection and treatment of hormonal disorders and diseases of the endocrine organs. The hormonal diseases can affect many organs and lead to various pathological conditions. That is why doctors from the department cooperate with other medical professionals such as gynaecologists, urologists, geneticists, and reproductive medicine specialists to provide comprehensive diagnoses and treatment to patients. Furthermore, the department works closely with the Hormone Center Cologne. Thanks to this cooperation, doctors and patients have access to qualified partners in all matters relating to endocrinology, the study of hormones. The departments combine the latest treatment guidelines with many years of clinic experience.
Individually and taking into account all the needs of the patient, the department сarries out diseases of all endocrine organs, including the pituitary gland, hypothalamus, thyroid gland, adrenal glands, testicles and ovaries. Particular attention is paid to treating type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Treatment and diagnostic focus of the department
- Thyroid diseases (Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Graves' disease, thyroid nodules, etc.)
- Disorders of bone metabolism such as osteoporosis (osteoporosis etc.)
- Diseases of the parathyroid glands (hyperparathyroidism etc.)
- Diseases of the Pituitary Gland (pituitary insufficiency, prolactinoma, Cushing's disease, etc.)
- Diseases of the adrenal glands (Addison's disease, hormonal causes of high blood pressure, Cushing's syndrome, etc.)
- Endocrine causes of hypertension
- Diseases of the endocrine pancreas such as diabetes mellitus
- Neuroendocrine Tumors (carcinoids, VIPomas, etc.)
- Physical exam
- Palpation (determine the size of the goitre)
- Laboratory tests (hormonal panel, blood sugar test)
- X-ray, CT
- Biopsy with histology
- Other diagnostic procedures
- Proper nutrition and diet
- Vitamin therapy
- Hormone therapy
- Gene therapy
- Minimally invasive surgery interventions
- Other treatment therapy
- 1987 - 1996 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Cologne and Faculty of Medicine, University of Montpellier, France
- 1997 - 1999 Internship, Department of Hematology and Oncology, University Hospital Cologne
- 1999 - 2000 Assistant Physician, Department of Hematology and Oncology, University Hospital Cologne.
- 2000 - 2001 Scientific Coordinator of the Competence Centers for Malignant Lymphomas, Cologne.
- 2001 - 2011 Assistant Physician, Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Rheumatology, University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- 2006 - 2011 Board certification in Internal Medicine, Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology and Rheumatology, University Hospital Duesseldorf.
- Since 2012 Chief Physician of the Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology at the PAN Clinic Cologne.
Awards, memberships, publications
- German Society of Endocrinology (DGE)
- German Society of Internal Medicine (DGIM)
- German Society of Hematology and Medical Oncology (DGHO)
- North Rhine-Westphalian Society for Endocrinology