Prof. Dr. med. Frank Koch
About the doctor
Skills & Expertise
Training Anterior Vitrectomy on the Eyesi Surgical Simulator
- 1978 Studied human medicine at the University Hospital in Essen
- Specialist training at the University Eye Clinic in Bonn
- Qualification as an investigator for clinical studies according to the drugs and medical services act
- 1985 Obtaining the degree "Doctor of Medicine" with distinction: "The effect of long-term irradiation with a fluorescent light on the rat fundus"
- 1988 Received the qualification of a specialist in ophthalmology
- Habilitation: "Clinic and morphology of pars plana sclerotomy during and after vitreous surgery"
- 1979-1984 Research Associate at the macro/microscopic anatomy courses, Lecturer at the Anatomy Institute of the University Hospital Essen
- 1984-1989 Head, Senior Physician, and Substitute for the Clinic Director, Department of the retina at the University Eye Clinic Bonn
- 1988 Senior Physician in all areas of the outpatient clinic and the anterior segment of the eye at the University Eye Clinic Bonn
- 1989-1996 Lecturer on ophthalmology and eye anatomy, laser therapy, diseases of the macula, effects of light on the eyes, and diabetic retinopathy
- 1996 Founder and Professorship (C3) for ophthalmology with a focus on retinal and vitreous body surgery at the Goethe University Hospital in Frankfurt am Main
- 1996 Lecturer at the Goethe University Eye Clinic in Frankfurt am Main
- 2002 Head of creation of a simulation training unit to help learn to work safer and more reliably with human eyes
- Management of the Department with a focus on retinal and vitreous body surgery at the Goethe University Hospital in Frankfurt am Main with a focus on conservative and surgical retinal, vitreous body, and cataract treatment
- Director of the Department of ophthalmology at Eye Centre Frankfurt am Main
Awards & Memberships
- 2001-2004 President of European VitreoRetinal Society
- Development of microscopic lighting systems for retinal and vitreous body surgery
- Development of an endoscopic operating system for vitreoretinal surgery
- Development and introduction of the Eyes simulation for retinal and vitreous body surgery, later for cataract surgery and diagnostics on the back of the eye. Then the introduction of VR simulation into the curriculum of medical studies and into the training to become an ophthalmic surgeon
- Participation in the development of an extraocular LED illumination for vitreous body surgery
- Development of a European umbrella organization for vitreoretinal surgeons
- Founding President of the European Vitreoretinal Society
- Initiation of the joint university project Frankfurt-Marburg VRS as a forum for scientific and clinical progress in vitreoretinal surgery
- Development and integration of diagnostic and surgical simulators in student teaching
- Numerous studies in the field of age-related macular degeneration and inflammatory, proliferative, and vascular diseases of the eye
- Establish a clinically relevant concept for treating vascular, inflammatory, and proliferative diseases of the eye through a combination of conservative and surgical techniques, e.g., minimally invasive removal of the vitreous plus implantation of a drug carrier
- Development and construction of devices for minimally invasive removal of the vitreous via one or two accesses
- Member of the Editorial Board of "Advances in Therapy"
- Member of the Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology
- Listed as the primary physician for diabetic eye diseases and retinal diseases on the FOCUS
- Listed in Who's Who
Denser forests across the USA experience more damage from insects and pathogens.
4 March, 2023
[Recurrent immunological intraocular inflammatory reaction after intravitreal operative drug administration].
Intraocular Lens Calculation Using 8 Formulas in Silicone Oil-Filled Eyes Undergoing Silicone Oil Removal and Phacoemulsification After Retinal Detachment.
About this place
What is the specialization of Prof. Dr. med. Frank Koch?
The primary specialization of the doctor is ophthalmology, retinal and vitreous surgery, cataract surgery.
What is the experience of the specialist?
Get individual treatment plan and cost estimate. Non-binding 100% free assessment
© Prof. Dr. med. Frank Koch