Department of oral and maxillofacial plastic surgery
About the department
The department of oral and maxillofacial plastic surgery at University Hospital Frankfurt am Main of Goethe-University forms the link between medical/surgical and dental work. The department is a part of the interdisciplinary University Center for Tumor Diseases (UCT). As an internationally recognized clinical, training and research centre, the department offers treatment and diagnosis according to the latest guidelines and research findings. It contains 16 beds, divided into 7 double and 2 single rooms. The head of the department was chosen as the 2021 top physician in reconstructive surgery by Focus magazine. Modern methods are used during surgeries, such as gentle piezosurgery (ultrasound surgery) or removable osteosynthesis plates to fix the jaws, which no longer have to be removed in a second operation.
Diseases of the mouth and jaw are treated at the department. In severe cases, modern procedures are used to achieve the best possible long-term stable aesthetic result. In addition, the department specializes in complex implantology, tumours, facial injuries, and congenital disabilities.
Treatment and diagnostic focus of the department
Diseases treated at the department:
- Craniofacial malformations,
- Jaw misalignments
- Jaw malformation (dysgnathia)
- Cleft lip, jaw and palate,
- Injuries in the facial skull area
- Diseases of the teeth or the periodontium
- Diseases of the salivary glands
- Diseases of the oral mucosa and more
- Dysgnathic surgery
- Combined orthodontic and maxillofacial surgery therapy
- Plastic reconstructive surgery of the face,
- Complete surgical spectrum for tumour removal in the oral cavity and facial skin
- Osteosynthesis (bone reconciliation using supporting materials)
- Radiation and chemotherapy
- Navigated or template-guided dental implantation
- Dental surgery
- Removal of wisdom teeth or supernumerary teeth
- Tooth-preserving interventions such as root tip resections, retrograde root fillings, root amputations, removal of cysts, building-up of periodontal defects.
- Interventions on the gums (periodontal surgery)
- Removal of a disturbing lip or tongue frenulum in children or adolescents.
- Removal of salivary stones
- 1980 – 1987 Studies in human medicine at the Heinrich Heine University in Düsseldorf and the University of Vienna
- 1982 – 1984 Studied philosophy at the University of Vienna/Austria and the Heinrich Heine University in Düsseldorf
- 1988 Promotion to "Dr.med."
- 1987 – 1991 Dentistry studies at the University of Bonn and the University of Cologne
- 1991 Promotion to "Dr.med.dent."
- 1991 – 2002 Further training at the clinic and polyclinic for oral and maxillofacial surgery at the Technical University of Munich, Klinikum Rechts der Isar
- 1995 specialist in oral and maxillofacial surgery
- 1999 Habilitation in the field of oral and maxillofacial surgery
- 2002-2004 senior consultant in the Department of Maxillofacial Surgery of the Clinic for Reconstructive Surgery at the University Hospital Basel/CH (Head: Prof. Dr. H.-F. Zeilhofer)
- December 2004 Appointment to the C4 professorship at the Department of adult and pediatric oral and maxillofacial plastic surgery at University Hospital Frankfurt am Main of Goethe-University
Awards, memberships, publications
- Dean of Studies Clinic in the Medical Faculty of the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main
- Medical Director and Managing Director of the Dental University Institute Carolinum
- President of the Dental Association of Frankfurt
- President of the German Society for Aesthetic Dentistry
- President of the Motor Vehicle Association of German Doctors (KVDA) registered association
- Author of more than 200 publications