Department of thyroid surgery
About the department
The department of thyroid surgery at Teknon Medical Center Barcelona offers a full range of medical services for patients with thyroid diseases and other endocrine surgery options. The department has the most famous and prestigious medical team of surgeons in Spain, consisting of more than 40 professionals, with a history of 28 years and performing more than 4,500 operations per year. The surgical model guarantees a personalized, patient-centred service and the best professional training, covering all types of pathologies. Surgeons specialize in minimally invasive, gentle thyroid surgical interventions performed under general anaesthesia. Interventions usually last from one to three hours. After, the patient remains in the anaesthesia recovery department for several hours under special supervision. With many patients per year (more than 1,500 patients), the department has zero mortality, which confirms the high professionalism of surgeons and the quality of medical services.
The department's specialists have a wealth of knowledge in treating benign and malignant tumours of the thyroid gland. The department has a committee on thyroid cancer, which includes endocrinologists, oncologists, surgeons, radiologists, pathologists, and nuclear medicine specialists. All cases are discussed and forwarded following internationally recognized protocols. In addition to oncological diseases, doctors provide excellent treatment for inflammatory and autoimmune thyroid diseases.
Treatment and diagnostic focus of the department
- Papillary and follicular thyroid carcinomas
- Medullary thyroid cancer
- Anaplastic thyroid cancer
- Thyroid gland inflammation
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis
- Graves' disease
- Thyroid nodules
- Medical history (including family history)
- Physical examination (palpation of the thyroid gland)
- Laboratory and biochemical tests
- Hormonal panel (T3 and T4 hormones)
- Definition of tumour markers (a thyroglobulin test)
- Iodine uptake tests (measures the amount of radioactive iodine)
- Ultrasound and Sonography
- CT or X-ray
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Aspiration or biopsy (a thin needle is inserted into an area of abnormal-appearing tissue)
- Anti-thyroid medication
- Subtotal thyroidectomy
- Partial thyroid resection
- Total thyroidectomy
- Therapy with radioactive iodine
- Hormone therapy
- Other treatment services
- 1975 Degree in Medicine and Surgery at the University of Barcelona
- Residency in General Surgery, Red Cross Hospital of Barcelona, (Dr. M. Galofré) 1975-1978.
- 1979 Degree in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Minnesota
- 1978 - 1982 US residency at the prestigious Mayo Clinic (Rochester, Minnesota)
- Trained in laparoscopic surgery in Strasbourg and Hamburg
- Title of Specialist in General and Digestive Surgery. 1982.
- Certification of the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates, 1976
- Training in Biliary Lithotripsy at the University of Munich. 1988.
- Training in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery in Strasburg 1998.
- Training title in Digestive Laparoscopic Surgery by the Société Française de Chirurgie Digestive. 1998.
- Course of Laparoscopic Surgery with Ultracision, Hamburg 2000.
- Specialist in Laparoscopic Surgery. Mayo Clinic 1990.
- The chief physician at the department of thyroid surgery at Teknon Medical Centre, Spain
Awards, memberships, publications
- Member of the Mayo Alumni Association. 1981.
- American Heart Association Certification in Advanced Cardiac life support.
- Head of the Surgery Service of CM Salus 1982-1984.
- Founding partner of Quirúrgica Cirujanos Asociados in 1986.
- Member of the Catalan Society of Surgery. 1992.
- Member of the Société Internationale de Chirurgie. Basel 1992.
- Founding member of the faculty of the Teknon Medical Center since 1993.