Department of cardiac surgery
About the department
The cardiac surgery department at Teknon Medical Center Barcelona is a highly-specialized centre for minimally invasive cardiac surgery and bloodless cardiac surgery. The department is equipped with advanced equipment so that doctors receive complete information about the anatomy, physiology and function of the heart muscle. Diagnostic methods in the department range include a traditional electrocardiogram, echocardiogram modalities, and the most modern and new techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging of the heart or coronary computed tomography. In addition, the department is one of the first in Spain to offer surgical interventions without blood transfusions. Transfusion-free cardiac surgery reduces postoperative complications and speeds up the recovery of patients.
The medical team of cardiovascular surgeons have exceptional experience in valve repair, which avoids valve replacement with prostheses and heart cavity reconstruction surgery. The department is one of the world's leading centres for Ross surgery, which uses the patient's pulmonary valve to replace a diseased aortic valve. In addition, numerous surgical techniques have been developed over the years to minimize aggression to the heart and body. These techniques include beating heart coronary surgery, mini extracorporeal circulation devices, and a wake-up program in the operating room after surgery.
Treatment and diagnostic focus of the department
- Angina pectoris
- Myocardial infarction
- Heart valve damage
- Heart failure
- Cardiac arrhythmia
- Coronary artery disease
- Valvular insuficiency
- Valvular stenosis
- Congestive heart failure
- High blood pressure
- Physical examination
- Laboratory and biochemical tests
- MRI of the heart
- Coronary multidetector tomography
- Positron emission tomography (PET)
- Electrocardiography, Holter ECG
- Chest radiography
- Exercise stress tests
- CT scan of the coronary arteries
- Doppler TSA and limb arteries
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- Heart valve repair or replacement
- Aneurysm repair
- Transfusion-free cardiac surgery
- Ross surgery
- Beating heart coronary surgery
- Insertion of a ventricular assist device
- Open heart procedures
- Congenital heart surgery
- Transmyocardial revascularization
- Other treatment interventions
- 1985-1989 MD. Universitat Central de Barcelona. Hospital Clínic i Provincial.
- 1991-1995 Resident in Cardiovascular Surgery. Department of Cardiac Surgery Hospital Santa Creu I Sant Pau. Barcelona.
- Update sessions on Stentless Bioprosthesis (O´Brien). Bichat Hospital. October 1996. Paris.
- Training in Cardiovascular Thoracoscopy (advanced level). Chair of Surgical Pathology and Surgery of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Minimally Invasive Surgery Center. Caceres. April and July 1997
- Utrecht MICABG Course. Less invasive Coronary Artery. By-pass grafting on the beating heart.1997.Utrecht. Holanda.
- Postgraduate course: Introducció a l´ estadística en Ciències de la Salut. Univestitat Autónoma de Barcelona. Profesor Domenech. Noviembre 1997. Bellaterra. Barcelona.
- Educational Course on total arterial myocardial revascularization. Universitá Degli Studi D´Annunzio.. Prof. Dr. Calafiore. November 1997. Chieti. Italia.
- Advanced Course in Surgical Technique. Club Mitral. December 1997. Broussais Hospital. Paris. France.
- Post-Graduate Course: Aortic Surgery Symposium VI. The Mount Sinai Hospital.Mount Sinai School of Medicine. April 98. New York. The USA.
- Post-graduate Course in Adults Cardiac Surgery Mitral Valve repair. 14 th Annual Meeting of the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. Frankfurt. Germany. Oct 2000.
- II Advances in Understanding Aortic Diseases. Hospital General Vall d´Hebrón. Barcelona. 22 September 2000.
- Post-graduate Course in Adult Cardiac Surgery: Aneurysms and dissections of ascending aorta and arch.15 the Annual Meeting of the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. Lisbon. Portugal. 16 September 2001.
- 2nd. Symposium on Aortic and Mitral Reconstructive Surgery. Focus on Echocardiogrhapic and technical aspects. Brussels. Belgium. May 31-June 1, 2002.
- San Rafáele Fourth Mitral Reconstructive Surgery course.Milan.Italy.April 2002
- Post-graduate Course in Adult Cardiac Surgery: Surgery for ischemic heart disease.Meeting of the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. Monaco. September 2002.
- Master of Valve repair. Barcelona May 2002.
- Course Surgery of Aortic Root, mitral valve and surgical approaches for atrial fibrillation. University of Nijmenen. The Netherlands. June 2004.
- Aortic Surgery Workshop. Toronto Hospital. Toronto. August 2004
- XXIV Meeting of the Society of Cardiac Surgeons. IV Live Teleconference Interinstitutional “ New Trends in Cardiac Surgery”. A Coruña. Spain. June 2005.
- Symposium Internacional Válvula Mitral. Hospital General. Universitario Gregorio Marañón. Madrid. Marzo 2006.
- The HIFU Energy & MIS Course. A.O.L. Sacco Polo Universitario Divisione di Chirurgia Cardiovascolare. Milano. Sept. 2009.
- Edwards SAPIEN THV Training Program. Faculté de Médecine, Rouen. France. Nov 2009
- Course expertise in self-management for anticoagulation. Sociedad española de Trombosis y hemostasia.
- 1989 Barcelona COMB License registration nº 26526
- 1995 Spanish Cardiovascular Surgery Specialist License registration
- 2002 European Board in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. FETCS
- Research Fellow in cardiac transplantation. Hospital de Sant Pau. Barcelone.
- 2000-2002. Professor in Cardiac Surgery. UAB. CES.
- 2014 Associate professor in Surgery. UAB
- 1990-1995. Clinical Fellow in Cardiac Surgery. Barcelona
- 1996-1997. Attending Cardiac Surgeon. Hospital Santa Creu i Sant Pau. Barcelona.
- 1997-1999 Chief of Section in Cardiac Surgery. Instituto Galego de Medicina técnica. Hospital do Meixoeiro. Vigo.
- 1999-2000 Attending Cardiac Surgeon. Hospital General Vall d´Hebron. Barcelona. Since
- 2000 Chief of Cardiac Surgery. Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol. Barcelona.
- Since 2007 Chief of Cardiac Surgery Unit VidaalCor. CM Quiron-Teknon. Barcelona.
Awards, memberships, publications
- Member of the Advisory Committee for Obtaining and Transplanting Vascular Tissue (OCATT).
- Representative of the Transplant Centers of the Hospitals of Catalonia.
- Spanish Society for Cardiothoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Catalan Society for Cardiac Surgery
- Active Member of the European Association for Cardiothoracic Surgery
- International Society for Cardiovascular Surgery
- Member of Acadèmia de Ciències Mèdiques de Catalunya I Balears
- St. Jude Medical Inc. España Clinical Advisory Board
- Palex Medical. España. Clinical Advisory Board
- Sorin Group Italia. Clinical Advisory Board
- OnX Technologies. Austin. EUA. Clinical Advisory Board
- Invited speaker presentations: 52
- Continuing medical and surgical educational courses: 4
- Mentoring responsibilities: a member of the cardiac surgery faculty with daily interactions with cardiac surgery residents/Fellows.
- Invited lecturer & Moderator : 15
- Chapters of books: 3
- Original Articles: 51
- Prosthetic band for mitral valve repair. WIPO patent application WO/2011/113986
- Device for repairing mitral valve insufficiency. US 2010/0241222A1
- Heart Valve sewing cuff. WO 2012/162522. Main inventor.